Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Blog 4: "The lowercase i."

In Andrew Blum's Epilogue, he ends the text by writing, "The Internet's physical infrastructure has many centers, but from a certain vantage point there is really only one: You. Me. The lowercase i. Wherever I am, and wherever you are."

What does Blum mean by "The lowercase i"?

In my understanding I think he could mean one of two things.

1. "i" is referring to the lowercase version of the internet.

2. "i" is referring to the pronoun, I. Which seems strange, but could also make sense with the context given.

Blum ends the book in full circle by connecting the conclusion back to the prologue of where he asks himself, "I was connected, yes; but connected to what?" And after months of searching to find the physical evidence of the Internet he concludes with the quote I included at the top of this blog. For him, it wasn't just about seeing the places and tons of corrugated steel, but it was about meeting the people who make the Internet function.

I think that scenario can really be true about any situation. For example, I am going to school to gain knowledge of a specific subject. If I wanted to learn about the subject alone, I could choose to read books in the comfort of my home. For me though, that's not all it's about. I go to school to meet new people, gain a perspective, and understand where we all come from. There is so much more I learn than just my major and minor.

Andrew Blum shares his experiences throughout the book to make it more interesting to the reader.

In what situations have you gained more than you initially expected?

No comments:

Post a Comment