Thursday, March 23, 2017

Blog 12: The Three Branches

Finally!!! I understand rhetoric!

After class on Tuesday, I had a better understanding of the definition of rhetoric and a basis of the subjects within chapter 1. I was a little nervous about this book, granted it is small, because I didn't think I would get a grasp of the subject.

As I continued into chapter 2, I started to enjoy what I was reading. I was really glad that Toye used examples for a majority of the terms discussed, because it really helped me better understand how to apply it into a work. In this chapter he unfolds all parts of a speech, just as the scholars did, to get a in depth picture of the different language and techniques used. There were a lot of terms that I was unfamiliar with, but after the chapter I have gained a clear idea of the 'scaffolding of rhetoric'.

Do you agree, that discussing rhetoric in class helped you comprehend the reading and move into chapter 2 easily?

Into the scaffolding, kairos is the first step of an argument or speech. Without an opportune moment, a great speech can crumble to pieces. I agree with this statement, because not only you have to be ready but your audience does well. The purpose will get lost if there isn't a great connection from orator to listener.

Onto the three branches of oratory discussed, Toye does a great job of explaining forensic, epideictic, and deliberative. After understanding all three, I agree with Toye's statement that it's difficult to attach one branch to one speech. Most speeches utilize two if not all three at some point throughout their argument. I can related back to last semester in my speech class, although nobody was a scholar, I can pick out branches that were used for various speeches given.

Which branch would you associate with different speeches; can you give examples of famous speeches?

No comments:

Post a Comment