Thursday, March 30, 2017

Blog 13: Chapter 4 and End of Rhetoric

After reading this book, I have a much better understanding of rhetoric and how to apply each of its properties to successfully persuade my audience. I am excited to start working on my paper and utilize Toye's text as a resource for mapping out my ideas.

I'm really glad he ended in pertaining rhetoric back to the modern day. Using examples of text and speeches helps put all the terms that he uses throughout the book back into words that I can understand. It also helps me better comprehend the rest of his book, even though it was a little rocky at the start.

On page 87, there is a cartoon by Stephen Collins that displays a radio in several drawings as it is playing a speech from its speaker. Below the cartoon is a short description that reads, "speeches cannot be understood separately from the technology that is used to deliver and comment on them."

This really resonated with me, because I have never thought of it that way, but it's very obvious. No matter what form of technology used to listen to a speech there are always specific attributes that arise from using it. The same goes for speeches given to a live audience. There is typically technology used to increase the volume of the speaker, such as a microphone and speaker system. Problems can always arise that would delay the speaker or interrupt his/her argument.

Do you think technological problems are something an orator should prepare for?

While the last words from Toye are to collect a rhetorical analysis of the book, I am much more excited to conduct an analysis on Instagram as a technology platform.

What do you think readers have touched on if they did a rhetorical analysis of the book?

No comments:

Post a Comment